The imagination is so delicate that sometimes even words wound it

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Time is what we make it


We must come to see that human progress never rolls in on
wheels of inevitability. It comes through the tireless efforts
and persistent work of men willing to be co-workers with God,
and without this hard work time itself becomes an ally of the
forces of social stagnation.
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Time does not cure all ills, time does not make things better. It is only through living, and striving, and struggling against the challenges, that things are made better.

Time is not our servant. Neither is it our oppressor. Time is our workplace, and our raw material. We can fashion it in any way we choose, through focus and effort.

And time comes to us in doses of now. Now is the only time we have, to do what we must do. If we wait until the "right" time, it never comes. Things will only be "right" when we act to make them so. Now is the only time we have, and now is when we must act.

We must expect the best -- of ourselves, and of others. And then we must work to make it so.

4 inspired and motivated:

Anonymous said...

t is only through living, and striving, and struggling against the challenges, that things are made better. :: SO very well said!

I guess sometimes, the lack of awareness of the value of time is dependent on experience. When we are younger, we sometimes don't value it as greatly as when we grow older, and realise the value of the moments which are constantly passing away.

I wonder if it is THIS awareness that makes me start my day at 5am?! :D

Americanising Desi said...

i envy you btw. i have forever tried to start my day at 5.
and yet trying!

Anubha said...

You said it beautifully!

I stumbled across your blog a few minutes back and found that some of your posts were very thought provoking, offcourse including this one.

We don't control time, but we can certainly control our perception.And if we observe closely, we'll be amazed to see what we can do with a limited amount of time!

What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it!

So I try to make the most of the time I have at hand.

Looking forward to other lovely posts from you!

Take care dear!

Anubha

Americanising Desi said...

Anubha,

As i get inspired I promise to inspire :)

some of the most touching words arent mine. but I like to pass it on.

Thank you for your kind words.

I love your line of thought, 'What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it!' bingo!

that is the spirit :)

Post a Comment